![]() |
| Christmas Eve Feast of the Seven Fishes. This is not how paupers eat. |
Blah blah blah, New Years weight loss resolutions. I know, you're so sick of it already. But this time, my fair readers-- all three of you-- it's different. It's not just about me trying to look cute (although I am really tired of wearing black). I want to lose weight and feel better, and I want it before I attempt to grow another human being in my uterus. That's right, it's time to prep for baby-making, which may possibly happen this year (I don't know, don't hold me to it). Lugging fifty pounds of pregnancy around was no joke, and I'm not going to make it worse by starting out overweight. It's time to clean up my nutrition act.
Here's the plan. I have given myself five months to lose ten pounds. Each month I'll follow a new theme, something that has traditionally been an obstacle for me. I will post my progress and setbacks on that theme. To start it out, here's what I'm hoping to accomplish:
1. To avoid stranger's eyes at my midsection as they think, "pregnant or chubby?"
2. To stop looking like a turtle on its back when I try to get up from the floor.
3. To smile in satisfaction when I look in the mirror (just looking in the mirror would be progress).
4. To fit into old clothes, even those outdated green curdoroys from the mid 2000s. If they don't have moth holes, I'll be wearing them.
5. To model healthy habits for my number one admirer, Nug.
January's Theme: Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper.
I came across this nugget of wisdom in a magazine, and it seemed like a great policy to follow. Often times I find myself eating dinner just because I'm too tired to get up from the table. Eating gives me "permission" to sit my tired bones down, a bad habit that I picked up working twelve hour shifts in nursing school. This month I will be mindful of my (lack of) evening hunger, and choose portions appropriately. I will also put more protein and whole grain into my breakfast meal.
Stay tuned for my progress, and here's a sneak peek of future themes:
Can Fruit Really be the Emotional Companion I Need?!
A Mother Without Caffeine
Sober Living (not even wine, serious!)

Your motto is great for January. I need to follow it too. Breakfast is no problem. It's the dinner that's the tough one.
ReplyDeleteA mother without caffeine ....that is a crazy idea :) If anyone can do it you can!
ReplyDelete