Friday, October 21, 2011

Cast of Characters


  • The Nug (short for Nugget): my older daughter, born February 2011
  • Cookie: my younger daughter, born February 2014
  • W: my wife, married since September 2010
  • Me: stay-at-home mom, casually-employed RN, wannabe vegan hippie

At Least You're Wearing Pants
When Nug was about three weeks old, I was running an "errand" with my friend Christi (errand meaning purchasing a much needed supersize mocha java). Christi has the incredible ability to always say the most compassionate and appropriate thing, and at three weeks into motherhood, I was a sponge for compassion. In between slurps of the mommy juice, I told her I had been wearing the same pants everyday for the last three weeks. "Hey, at least you're wearing pants!" she said, causing me to giggle in a mix of embarrassment and pride. Her words were a gift of softness towards myself. I often think of her response when I'm feeling harried and it always helps to center me. At least I'm wearing pants today...

Some Truth to That
My struggles and joys of parenting are written here with a dose of humor, and while sometimes embellished to make myself laugh, I'm always honest with my feelings. This blog began as a way to connect with long-distance peeps but morphed quickly into my mommy therapy. I can actually speak with some authority on registered nursing, the queer community, traveling, and maternal/pediatric care. Everything else is shot from the hip. You may relate or you may not. I hope that you do!

Nug. October 2012

Cookie. July 2014

1 comment:

  1. Hello! We called our foster babies "Nnuggletts" and now we call our babies "smidgies." Nice to know we're not the only ones with nicknames different from "Ladybug" and the like. :)

    ReplyDelete