I'm three weeks in (out of seven) and already getting tired and discouraged. I'm tired of creating ways to get two fruits/veggies into EACH meal. I'm tired of searching out whole grains. And I'm tired of avoiding refined sweeteners. I just want to let loose and eat!
And so I did...
This week's challenge was:
- no deep-fried food
- no "low fat" or "lite" products (= whole milk)
Aha moment(s):
- I couldn't bring myself to buy whole milk. I wanted to give it a try, but it felt so strange! And there were only large cartons available, which would have been so wasteful. Instead, I went with one percent. I do taste a difference and my smoothies are more filling. It's nice. I intended to make my own almond milk this week in lieu of buying whole milk, but it took me nearly a month just to find cheesecloth. A project for another time...
- Frying food at home is too messy for me, so it's not hard to stay away from it. I just had to watch out for fried chips and crackers.
- I decided to note all of my sugar consumption for one day this week, wondering if I am near the recommended 25g or less. Sweetener seems to be in everything; it felt like so many foods were off-limits (spaghetti sauce, for example, or my homemade dijon vinaigrette). But I did pretty good! I had an estimated total of 6g before the chocolate chips binge, and 31g after!
Biggest hurdle this week:
My food planning fell apart when I had to be a single parent for a couple of days. It made me realize how much I am affected by changes in the routine. (Also how much I rely on W!)
Weight change:
So I gained 1.6 lbs since last week! This is so frustrating because I am actually keeping to all the week's challenges. It's just that I am keeping to them AND eating other stuff= too much food.
_________________________________________________________
How I did it, in photos...
![]() |
| Roasted chickpeas helped me through any fried-food cravings |
![]() |
| Oops, fried potatoes with my breakfast. I was a few potatoes in when I thought, "These are so yummy, how can they still be on my eating plan?!" Then sadly realized they aren't. |
And this is how you gain weight: these were my cheats.
_________________________________________________________
Next week's challenge (challenges are cumulative, btw):
- try two new foods
- avoid food with more than five ingredients
I have the added challenge of out-of-town travel this week!
Where I'm at:
- no fried-foods
- no low-fat/diet foods
- two fruits or veggies with each meal
- no refined sweetener
- 100% whole grain
- no more than one glass wine/day
_________________________________________________________
I'm now including my measurements for added encouragement:
Today (end of week 3):
155.2 lb
Waist: 31 in
Hips: 42 in
Navel: 37.75 in
Start of week 1:
154 lb



It must be therapeutic to document all the foods you consume. You are doing very well. Remember that you didn't gain all that weight overnight. It took 9 months and it will take longer to lose it all. Keep up the work.
ReplyDelete