Nug wasn't quite as nostalgic. She was eager to cut the tape and seal the boxes- she's crazy about scissors- and kept rushing me to the next box. Prom pictures, attribute lists of my dream partner, and melancholic adolescent poetry were all met with an urgent, "ready for tape, Mommy?! Ready yet? Ok! NO! I DO IT MYSELF!" It killed the sentimental mood, but kept me on schedule.
| Before photo of our junk / sewing / toy graveyard room |
(Thank you Violet- Nug's best friend- for seeing my Teddy Graham blog post and giving this fetus a nickname.)
And now that I'm feeling better (so much better, yay!), I can start to make plans for Cookie's birthday. If there was a seven month prep course for me, I imagine it would resemble the home economics classes offered to women in the mid-century. Sure, my eighth-grade home economics class taught me to sew a guitar pillow and make jello salad, but I need to know how to roast a turkey while dangling an infant while rolling homemade play-doh with a three-year-old while folding cloth diapers with my toes while sleeping. Right?!
![]() |
| and where's my name-embroidered apron?! |
So I searched the internet for advice on how to prep for baby number two. I came across a neat historical website on the "domestic sciences" and from there designed my personal home-ec crash course. Let's see how much I can get done in the next seven months.
Food Preparation & Nutrition
make ahead dry mixes, like muffinstest a dozen new recipes
purchase disposable dinner ware
Clothing & Textiles
sew Nug's quilt for her big girl bed
make or purchase thank you cards
sort through Nug's old clothes (we plan to find out Cookie's sex in another eight weeks)
sew or purchase drapes for new bedroom
Child, Personal, & Family Development
make ahead toddler activities
go on a baby-moon with W
find a gift to and from Nug to welcome Cookie
pull down the cloth diapers
Other Domains (resources, home maintenance, healthy lifestyle, coping with stress)
do thorough house cleaning
prep the third bedroom, buy a big girl bed
work on budget, trim a few expenses
pay bills ahead of time where possible
go away on a weekend by myself!*
*do this before working on budget
So, experienced mamas, what else would you add?

My experienced mother advice? Enjoy each day! And sorry I never got you a name-embroidered apron but there is still time!
ReplyDelete