Wow. I just re-read my Christmas letters from 2015 & 2014 and - prepare for the cliche - I kinda can't believe how the kids have grown. Or more to the point... how I have grown. It's strange and amazing to be literally under the weight of babies, and then, in just two years, to drop those babies off for school/gymnastics camp/a friend's house and have a few easy hours to myself. Buyer beware: on the last such event, I was horrified to take note of the state of my hair. Oops, I guess I rely on kids crawling on me as my excuse to look a mess. Indeed, 2016 was the first year in a long while where my head felt above water. I mean, I still hire someone to clean my house (obvi), but this year my Christmas letter went out on time and I remembered my wedding anniversary! We both did!
Enough about me and my personal growth. Onto the kids.
Nug (5) began Kindergarten and a new school this year. She is thriving on its diversity and activity and was Student of the Month for November. I love that it is a bike ride away. She has also enjoyed gymnastics and her first year at soccer. This summer she learned to swim underwater and lost her first two teeth. Gah! She now wears lace-up sneakers and pony tails, but thankfully still hugs me all the time.
Pictured: My strong little helper, she is so good with her sister. - Swinging in our tree (that pic of her in a sundress is from January. Bless you, sunny California!). - Shores of Lake Tahoe. They did go in the water, but I had to warm them up in the shower right after! - Camping and fishing. We have yet to catch anything!

Enough about me and my personal growth. Onto the kids.
Nug (5) began Kindergarten and a new school this year. She is thriving on its diversity and activity and was Student of the Month for November. I love that it is a bike ride away. She has also enjoyed gymnastics and her first year at soccer. This summer she learned to swim underwater and lost her first two teeth. Gah! She now wears lace-up sneakers and pony tails, but thankfully still hugs me all the time.
Pictured: My strong little helper, she is so good with her sister. - Swinging in our tree (that pic of her in a sundress is from January. Bless you, sunny California!). - Shores of Lake Tahoe. They did go in the water, but I had to warm them up in the shower right after! - Camping and fishing. We have yet to catch anything!

Cookie (2) is hard
at work demonstrating her independence. Strong opinions are focused on wardrobe
and whether she wants to sit in her car seat. I lose most battles, but am still
rewarded with lots of cuddles… on her terms.
She also enjoys gymnastics (“without you in the class, Mommy”), tap
dance, and copying all my exercises from Stroller Strides. Her hair is still
astonishingly straight.
Pictured: Beach time in New Jersey. - The hot chocolate is "delithus." - Santa Cruz beach time in November, such a delight. - Cookie is done for the day. - Her latest insistence is to wear a leotard when its 40 degrees out.
Pictured: Beach time in New Jersey. - The hot chocolate is "delithus." - Santa Cruz beach time in November, such a delight. - Cookie is done for the day. - Her latest insistence is to wear a leotard when its 40 degrees out.
After eight months of late night and weekend garage
rendezvous, as well as delays from rain or from small children, and many trips
to the hardware store, W
finished building our camper! Entirely by hand, it was a dream of hers to own a
camper and a catharsis to focus on something so fulfilling. We have since
camped four times, and it hasn’t fallen apart! After a short adjustment period,
the kids jumped right into being dirty and free. Me, it took a little wine and
chocolate, but time in the wilderness has become a bright light for our family.
Pictured: The kids love to help, or at least be close by, when W works on the camper. Nug thinks her mama can build anything now! - Checking out the view at camp trip #2. - Fishing at camp trip #3. - Gorgeous surroundings at camp trip #4.
Pictured: The kids love to help, or at least be close by, when W works on the camper. Nug thinks her mama can build anything now! - Checking out the view at camp trip #2. - Fishing at camp trip #3. - Gorgeous surroundings at camp trip #4.
I began part-time work at a general medicine clinic, where I
am dusting off my “adulting” skills and sometimes helping patients. The
schedule is perfect for us right now: 5-9pm, 1-2 nights per week (hooray for a
break from cooking dinner!). This year I also worked hard at finding time for
myself. I found it at 5:30am at a moms boot camp, but I found it! I’m stronger,
more empowered, and, well, probably just as sleepless as I was last year.
Pictured: Stair training for a stadium Spartan Race, with Cookie on my back. - Cookie "helps" distract me during some planking. - I have so few photos of me that aren't selfies with the kids, so I love this shot that Nug captured without me aware. And the photo is so accurate: in the kitchen with a kid on my hip!
Pictured: Stair training for a stadium Spartan Race, with Cookie on my back. - Cookie "helps" distract me during some planking. - I have so few photos of me that aren't selfies with the kids, so I love this shot that Nug captured without me aware. And the photo is so accurate: in the kitchen with a kid on my hip!
Our 2016 travels took us to New Jersey (x2) and Minnesota (x1). In addition to our four camp trips, we made it to Lake Tahoe and the
Pacific Ocean. My parents dutifully saw their granddaughters often (7 visits to
see us!), and my brother and his family came to visit too. We are blessed with
good health, friends, and family. We
hope to catch up with you around the campfire soon.
















Glad to see more photos here...they tell the story so well. What a wonderful year with these adorable girls! Can't wait to be there again.
ReplyDelete