Ugghhh.... this latte is barely touching the Nyquil-Trazadone combo I took last night to fall asleep. Yep, you read that right. I tranquilized myself. But now it's 10:43am and my eyes are still puffy slits through which everyone in this cafe is moving too fast... except they are seated. And there was that moment on the freeway earlier when it seemed totally reasonable to close my eyes rather than to drive (Relax! I didn't do it. Besides, the kids were already dropped off). It's not the ideal time for creative writing, but I have two kid-free hours and a mind full of mommy milestones to document.
Today is Cookie's third birthday, which was preceded by two days with Nug's sixth birthday. Apparently I've been holding my breath for three years, or maybe Cookie's dependence kept me cozily ensconced in the they-will-never-grow-up camp, because this year hit me hard. Like a running hug from Nug hard. It didn't take much to lose my mind, actually; I was pulling cupcakes out of the oven while thinking of them asleep upstairs under their full heads of hair, and I just started sobbing. Sobbing, sobbing, heaving tears sobbing. Because once upon a time they were bald and squishy instead, and fit length-ways across my lap in the rocker and wore diapers and didn't plug their ears when they were tired of listening to me. Anyway, I suppose I was a bit primed to fall apart anyway... this past week I started a new job (hospice, per-diem), coordinated a Kindergarten field trip, coached our soccer team, attended our second Girl Scouts meeting, threw a double birthday party with 44 RSVPs, baked three cakes from scratch, caught a cold (the entire family caught it), juggled my parents' visit, and volunteered in Nug's classroom three times. Um, ya. I'm not going to do that again. Ever
But really, I love those moments of catharsis and clarity. It's not often enough that I stop to cry in sheer wonder of my kids. So today I start a new tradition, to take stock of my amazing babies. Enjoy!
Nug's Birthday Interview
![]() |
| January 2017, beach camping |
How old are you: 6
What makes you happy? Having a donut
What do you want to be when you grow up? I want to be animal doctor
What is your favorite toy? Babies
What is the thing you are best at? Running
What is your favorite sport? Soccer
What do you like to wear? All sorts of things, you can write... everything
What is your favorite food? Rice with cheese
What is your favorite thing to do outside? Swinging
What is something you want to learn? How to sew
What makes you nervous? A lion, roaring
What is your favorite treat? Ice cream! no, donuts!
Cookie's Birthday Interview
(A dear old friend called the other day and asked if we still call her Cookie. Funny thing, in her life we have never called her Cookie! It was just a name for the blog, created when she was still a fetus. Actually we call her Sizzle(!), but I figure it's better to keep the name consistent for my wide readership, haha.)
![]() |
| January 2017, beach camping |
How old are you? 3
What is your favorite toy? Baby doll
What is the thing you are best at? Rainbow. You swinging me. Playing with M's stuff (7 yr old neighbor girl). (Then, with prompting from Nug), putting my hand in your shirt.
What is your favorite sport? Tumble class
What do you like to wear? Costumes
What is your favorite food? Meat, mushrooms. And raisins. And cherry yoget (yogurt)
What is your favorite thing to do outside? Jumping and playing with M (neighbor)
What do you want to learn how to do? Draw a heart, when I'm 5
Where do you want to visit someday? Play in the sand (she was looking at the photos posted below)
What makes you nervous? A lion and a tiger
What is your favorite treat? Lollipop and donut





Awesome. I am in tears too thinking of those darling girls and how grown up they are now. Miss you and can't wait to return to Sacramento!
ReplyDelete