![]() |
| Ninja elephant (God bless Google image search, ha!) |
A big thank you to my blog readers for helping me be accountable and organized. Thank you to my Nug for keeping me motivated. And thank you to my wife for eating most of the food I prepare. Seriously, you all helped tremendously!
So let's review.
These were my five original goals:
- To avoid stranger's eyes at my midsection as they think, "pregnant or chubby?" Done. I haven't had a small child pat my belly and ask "what's that?" since January.
- To stop looking like a turtle on its back when I try to get up from the floor. Done. Still not spry, but definitely more spring.
- To smile in satisfaction when I look in the mirror (just looking in the mirror would be progress). Done. Can't get enough.
- To fit into old clothes, even those outdated green corduroys from the mid 2000s. If they don't have moth holes, I'll be wearing them. Done. The green corduroys were so five pounds ago.
- To model healthy habits for my number one admirer, Nug. Done done and done! She's now drinking green smoothies for breakfast!
Enough blabber. You want to SEE the results, right?
Total weight loss: 12 pounds!
I'm sooo proud of myself and my family. Over the past five months, I've dropped alcohol, caffeine, processed foods, and added sugar from my diet. We've eaten more beans and greens than I thought our toilets could handle(!). We eat meatless meals at home with reduced oil and salt, and Nug and I switched to non-dairy milk (which actually has more calcium). I know what you're thinking... you want to come over for dinner SO BAD! Ha, well, just know that due to my healthy habits, I have more energy, feel happier, no longer have hazes of hypoglycemia, have fewer headaches, and have more control over my emotions. And I look hot. So there.
Before (January 23, 2013) and After (May 31, 2013):
Total weight loss: 12 pounds!
- BMI dropped from 25 (overweight) to 23.2
- 4 inches off the smallest part of my waist
- 1 inch off my navel (hmm, looks like the extra pregnancy skin might stick around longer)
- 3.5 inches off my hips
I'm sooo proud of myself and my family. Over the past five months, I've dropped alcohol, caffeine, processed foods, and added sugar from my diet. We've eaten more beans and greens than I thought our toilets could handle(!). We eat meatless meals at home with reduced oil and salt, and Nug and I switched to non-dairy milk (which actually has more calcium). I know what you're thinking... you want to come over for dinner SO BAD! Ha, well, just know that due to my healthy habits, I have more energy, feel happier, no longer have hazes of hypoglycemia, have fewer headaches, and have more control over my emotions. And I look hot. So there.
- Check sodium content. Aim for fewer milligrams than the number of calories per serving.
- Easily cut back on fat in your diet by sauteing vegetables in water or broth.
- If you find it difficult to eat veggies, blend and drink them. I love my morning smoothie routine.
- Stay educated and supported through a Nutritarian/vegan community. Movies, youtube videos, and blogs are the best. If I'm feeling weak, reading from the blogs always reenergizes and refocuses me.
- Drop alcohol, sugar, and caffeine. Really. It will take three days for your body to adjust, and then you'll feel great.
- Keep your focus on eating real food rather than lowering your caloric intake through fat-free junk.
- Identify your trigger foods and trigger moments and work to avoid them. For me, sugar is a slippery slippery slope, and 3pm is the hardest time of the day.
- Drop processed food (anything with more than three ingredients is suspect to me) and "process" your own food.
- Keep it simple. My motto: eat as many whole plants as possible each day. More beans, more greens, and less meat.
- Remember, your child(ren) are always watching.
If you want to read more, check out the posts I wrote on my progress:








Great before and after photos. Even your face looks slimmer!
ReplyDeleteReally like your suggestions to a healthy lifestyle which results in feeling better AND weight loss.
Your Mother's Day card ROCKS!!!!